Toco The Cat And His Human: Growing Up Together – An adorable photoset of a toddler and a cat that have been together since they were babies.
- Goldieblox and the Three MCs – GoldieBlox has since backed down and removed the video, but this was an interesting rundown of the copyright and fair use issues everyone was talking about. It’s anything but cut and dried.
It’s entirely possible that the Goldieblox video is simultaneously:
- A parody
- An advertisement
- A derivative of the Beastie Boys’ copyrighted work
- A violation of MCA’s dying wishes
- And, yet, perfectly legal under the fair use doctrine.
Only a judge can decide whether Goldieblox’s parody is fair use. And, until they do and all the appeals are closed, none of us will know.
- GoldieBlox and the Three Feminism Follow-up Points – I’ve had a number of conversations with friends about this toy and the way it’s being marketed, and this post articulates perfectly what bothers me about it.
Making more engineering toys for girls is a good and admirable thing that should be done, but it’s not going to change the fact that women are being deliberately driven out of STEM fields. Making engineering toys that parents feel comfortable buying for their girls may be arguably good and admirable (though I harbor concerns that the Pink Toy Equals Acceptable Toy can cause more harm than good, but laying that aside for the moment), but it’s not going to change the fact that women are being deliberately driven out of STEM fields. The men who are sexist to me on a daily basis have, in many cases, daughters and sisters who they encourage to be engineers because the money is good and why not follow Father / Big Brother’s footsteps. That doesn’t stop them from being sexist assholes to non-Exceptional Women they’ve not made exceptions for.
- More Fantasy and Historical Fiction Featuring Main Characters of Color – The tumblr blog medievalpoc put together a reading list of books with good portrayals of people of color and it’s pretty extensive. Everyone should be following this blog. It’s amazo.
I’m a pretty hardcore Fantasy/Sci Fi fan and have been since childhood. The unrelenting whiteness of the genre (especially the late 70’s early 80’s stuff I was practically weaned on) really did a number on me, especially as a teen. That’s a lot of why this blog exists, in fact.
- On Penny Arcade, Exploitation, and the Myth of the Do-Everything Rock Star – I am always here for Penny Arcade hate, and the derision this job listing is getting gives me all sorts of warm fuzzies. Those guys are kind of terrible people.
This is a company that runs three massive trade shows a year, sells an incredible amount of merchandise, commands extremely competitive advertising rates, publishes multiple comic properties each week, runs their own gaming magazine, does paid story and illustration work for their ad clients, produces multiple web video shows, employs several other cartoonists, and has put out three video games.
They’re not hurting for cash, and they could surely pay four people to do the “four jobs” that this posting says the applicant must be able to do. They just don’t want to. They don’t even want to pay one guy a competitive rate to do those four jobs, because why bother? When you have an army of fans dying to work for you, why pay a realistic wage to a realistic number of people?