Links: Thursday, December 12th

A black high-heeled women's shoe where the heel is a very sharp point and the sole has finger holes like a set of brass knuckles.Artist Creates 12 Shoes For 12 Ex Lovers

• Where’s the Diversity? The NY Times Top 10 Bestsellers List – “Only three out of the 124 authors who appeared on the list during 2012 are people of color” And one of them is E.L. James, who’s apparently half Chilean. They follow up their infographic with an interview with author Charles Yu.

As we near the end of the 2013, we enter the season when major newspapers and magazines release their “Best of [enter year] lists”. So naturally we were curious about the level of representation of authors of color in last year’s New York Times Top 10 Bestsellers list. We chose to look at their most general bestsellers list, Combined Print & E-Book Fiction (adult), and looked at the top ten books for all 52 weeks of 2012. The results were staggering, if not surprising in light of our past Diversity Gap studies of The Tony Awards, The Emmy Awards, the children’s book industry, and US politics, where we analyzed multi-year samplings and found a disturbingly consistent lack of diversity.

• 10 Amazing Women Who Led Rebellions – I’m apparently the worst graduate of a history BA program ever, because I hadn’t heard of any of these women or the events they played a role in. What I don’t know about history that isn’t (Western) European could fill an ocean.

Male revolutionaries such as Che Guevara have gone down as heroes for leading rebellions against “the Man.” But forgotten by history are the women who took on far greater powers than Fulgencio Batista. Throughout the ages, women have led rebellions and revolutions which took on the might of the Roman Empire and the vast wealth of the British East India Company.

• Annoucing the 2014 TBR Challenge! – Wendy the Super Librarian is totally one of my favorite romance bloggers, and she’s posted the themes and dates for next year’s TBE Challenge. I’m tempted to put in this year, for a change.

What is the TBR Challenge? Simply put, it’s where readers pick up a long neglected book from their TBR pile, read it, and comment on that read on the 3rd Wednesday of every month. The idea is to read those long neglected books that you just had to get your hands on at the time, but have been languishing in your pile, all lost and forgotten.

• #fatmicroaggressions – Feminist blogger Melissa McEwan started the hashtag #fatmicroaggressions for people to share the thoughtless comments they face for daring to exist while fat.

The following two tabs change content below.

Ridley

An ice hockey fan from north of Boston and the genre's most beloved troll, Ridley enjoys reading contemporary and historical romance, as well as the odd erotica novel. As someone who uses a wheelchair, she takes a particular interest in disability themes.

Latest posts by Ridley (see all)

7 comments for “Links: Thursday, December 12th

1. nu
    December 12, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Wow, those tweets… Brutal. But the rebellions, yep, we are discovering more and more history that was buried -and some downright rewritten- every day. It’s so exciting! Did you hear about the Etruscan prince buried with a spear who ended up being a princess? Bias at work. http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/27559

ReplyReply
  2. December 12, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Hey, thanks for the TBR Challenge shout-out! I, of course, would love for you to join – but if you want to “wait and see” that’s cool too. You don’t need to get on board for January. I’ve had people join up during the later months :)

Re: Women who have led rebellions – I too have a BA in History and I’m the “worst” right along with you. The only one I recognized was Leymah Gbowee – and that’s because I remembered her winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

Ugh – those fat tweets are BRUTAL. That woman who’s grandmother got her the WW membership – makes me want to go home and hug my Mom, who never made her daughters feel like we were “deficient” in anyway. Even those of us who aren’t married and haven’t given her grandchildren ;)

ReplyReply
  3. Evangeline
    December 12, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Heh, Sylvia Day posted the article about diversity on the best-seller lists on her FB page. The usual spiel: “I don’t see color!” and “Why does everything have to be about race?”. Matters won’t change when many believe there isn’t anything to change.

Re: fatmicroaggressions…ugh.

ReplyReply
  4. meoskop
    December 12, 2013 at 11:58 pm

I stayed off the hashtag because I’d have flooded Twitter. (Interestingly I just typed “many of the women in my family are” when in fact it’s the men AND woman) Most of my family is obese. Some require mobility devices, some do not. By those standards, I am not fat but by local societal standards I am super omg fat. My body type is similar to this woman’s.

So there’s your point of reference. I’m not at risk of being forced to buy two airplane seats. But I am subject to continual body policing by strangers. Every single doctor I see wants to address my weight for 3/4 of our hurried time. This includes the ones heavier than I am. My weight, so fascinating. It’s not uncommon to be offered congratulations on my pregnancy, (I either go with “thanks, she’s 14″ or “Just fat, sorry”.) I used to look more like this woman -

People treated me differently. When someone says “Oh, but you’re not fat!” that’s a micro aggression. It indicates my size is subject to external evaluation and how it would be appropriate to be treated hinges on that. Or they might say “Wow, you carry it well” which makes it seem like I am getting away with something, passing as a not fat person when I actually am one. “I love how confident you are!” that one is not only total crap, but lets me know they consider my body grounds for mental breakdown.

Most of the women in town trend to this body type –

but this is also very common –

If I ever look either of them I’m probably dying. Which would suck.

ReplyReply
  5. Ridley
    December 13, 2013 at 11:06 am

@meoskop: Past me is definitely guilty of saying some of the things people tweeted in that hashtag. I think I’m better now.

ReplyReply
  6. Meoskop
    December 13, 2013 at 11:15 am

@Ridley I actually had a bit calling out a past conversation but pulled it because I was already so far in TL:DR country I’d run out of breadcrumbs. You’ve been clean on my weightphobic bingo card since then!

ReplyReply
  7. December 13, 2013 at 10:40 pm

The ones you quote seem more like macro aggressions to me. :-(

I have my share, but I don’t like to remember or bring them up.

ReplyReply